May 18th, 2009

So Much for Being a Minority in a Minority Party…

More articles by »
Written by: Battleground Iowa

By Emily Geiger

Just before the most pro-choice president ever gave his speech at the allegedly pro-life Notre Dame University yesterday, a new Gallup poll is out saying that the American public is more pro-life than ever.

For the first time since Gallup began taking this poll 15 years ago, the majority of Americans (51%) classify themselves as pro-life.

And, the number of American’s identifying themselves as pro-choice is at its lowest point since the poll started (42%).

According to, these poll numbers correspond with a recent poll conducted by that news organization, likely indicating reliability in the poll numbers.

What I don’t understand, however, is why some in the media keep reporting that the results of this survey indicate that the majority of people think abortion should remain legal.

I think part of this problem is in the way the questions on this subject were asked. I know many people, myself included, who do think that if an abortion is truly needed to save the life of the mother, that should be okay, because, at that point, you are balancing a life against a life.

However, the questions asked on this issue aren’t totally clear, and the reporting on them is just not telling the whole story.

The actual results of the poll found that the majority of Americans actually think that abortion should either be illegal in all circumstances (23%) or legal in only a few circumstances (37%).

My guess is that those of us in the “only if the life of the mother is in danger” crowd are that 37%. When you add us to the “never under any circumstances” crowd, that means that 60% of people think abortions are almost never okay.

Only 22% of people think that abortion should be legal under any circumstance, and only 15% think it should be legal under most circumstances, for a total of 37%.

We’ve been lied to by the media for a long time that pro-lifers are just this small group on the outside fringe, but most of us have known for an equally long time that that’s just not the case. Now we actually have some statistical data to back that up.

And to Doug Gross, Mr. “pro-lifers are a minority in a minority party,” put this in your pipe and smoke it on a casino floor. If we’re looking for a leader who in touch with the people on issues, I don’t think he’s it.

About the Author

Battleground Iowa

Emily Geiger writes from a conservative perspective on everything from politics to religion to pop culture. Like the original Emily of Revolutionary War era, this Emily is delivering important messages crucial to winning the raging war of the time, but today, this is a culture war rather than a traditional one. And, like the original Emily, sometimes it takes a woman to do (or say) that which lesser men lack the courage and tenacity to do.

blog comments powered by Disqus